Thursday 1 January 2009

Well, it's a start!

After telling myself many times that I should start a blog, I have finally put fingers to keyboard... Initially, I thought "Who would want to read what I have to say?". On the other hand, it's an easy way to keep in touch with my frinds both here in Israel and abroad. As you will agree, I'm not the best letter-writer, so this might be the ideal solution!

Today just seemed to be the right time to start a blog. The first day of a new year, a war raging around me, stuck at home since you never know what might happen if you leave your house... a blog sounds like a relatively safe way of passing the time.

It's a strange feeling, being in almost self-imposed imprisonment, hearing loud bangs every so often and also feeling the whole house shake all around you. It made me think of the people in Sderot who have suffered this for years, and then it made me think of the innocent people in Gaza who are suffering because of a bunch of terrorists. Unless you've been there, you really cannot imagine sitting at home and hearing a boom, and then thinking "Is it ours or is it theirs?" and "If it's theirs, where has it landed? Could anyone I know have been hurt?" that's the way we tend to think here in Israel after any kind of attack - who do I know that might be affected? Eventually, you almost always find some sort of connection somehow.

I have just read on the Internet that the Hamas's response to the assassination of one of its foremost leaders today will be to "set the West Bank on fire". Well, if they do, Qiryat Gat will have a busy time, being geographically located between Gaza and Hebron.

On that happy note, I'll end this first posting. So far, we still have no school - a wise decision, since our school does not have the means to offer even minimal protection to the thousand plus students and teachers - so it looks like I'll have time to prattle on even more and maybe try to develop my non-existent blogging skills!

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogland! Will this be a polyglot blog??? At last count you had four to choose from, n'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ich habe keine Ahnung ... peut-etre ... podumaem... nachshov al zeh...whatever.
    I think I'll stick to English in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! I'm looking forward to hearing unbelievable stories that can only happen in Q.Gat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have NO IDEA!!!! (Or maybe you do....)

    ReplyDelete
  5. On a day when the whole world is clutching its head because of last years excesses, (whether financial or festive), this blog comes as a sharp excercise in sobering up. The news is really horrible and we are all hoping that this will end quickly and not escalate.

    Having said that, congratulations on putting fingers to keyboard and I look forward to regular multi-media updates.

    PS What do you think of Waltz with Bashir?

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Drew, as I sit here with my cat purring and contemplating a ski holiday instead of an evacuation (which we too have experienced), I can only think that Alison and I, and perhaps many others, could benefit from reading your blog. Besides, if it is more convenient for you than letters/emails, then we can adapt. God bless and keep you all safe, Vane, Alison & Callum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Drew,
    Mum just told me about your terrible situation and sent me your last emails to her. It must be so worrying for you. Here we are trying to busy ourselves with the festivities and you and your family are caught up in such a frightening event like this. I just hope that it comes to a rapid conclusion. Take Care love from David & Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all your comments. It's nice to feel connected with the rest of the world. I have to emphasise that we have been very lucky so far - other people are suffering much more and the effects of their suffering will probably remain with them for a long time after the last rocket falls... Will add more comments towards the end of today.

    ReplyDelete